Ah, it's the first installment from me (Phil)!
So, I was reading 1 John and had some thoughts. Actually I think I had some thoughts and then read 1 John.
Anyway, this post is about teasing people. We often tease people, I think it's an Australian culture thing. We also often justify it, saying: "It's harmless fun" or "They know I'm joking."
But is it really just harmless? Does it still hurt if the person knows your joking?
The answer is yes. It does still hurt people. It works against us to create a pattern of insulting and negative and sarcastic comments. It leads our minds to think in a certain way. It's a degenerative pattern that causes hurt to other people.
One comment or a few comments may just be harmless. But when they become like second nature it is upsetting to others. It's not loving.
I have seen this in my own life and in the lives of others. For those of us who believe in Christ, this should not be:
John 13: 34
"A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
As Jesus loved us, so he calls us to love our brothers and sisters in Christ (and also we are to love all people - but I am not focusing on that here). Does this not mean we should create the most loving atmosphere possible, and with God's help, to do so?
If we can do this we will be one more step to acting as God intended.
So in conclusion: No, constant teasing is not ok, even if people do know you're joking it still wears them down. It also causes you to think more critically of other people. We need to shed the teasing and criticism to be more loving. By our love we will be known and people will seek to know the God who loves.
1 John 4: 20-21
"If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother."
For a final note.
I miss my Jess, my second greatest love in life (under God). I'm visiting my Mum and Dad and she's with her family...
God bless you all,
Love your brother in Christ Jesus our Lord,
Phil.
P.S. 30 days till the wedding!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment