Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The other side of Costco

By now, most of you will have heard of Costco, but haven't been told the darker side of all these discounts. If you have been to Costco then maybe you'll sympathise with the following.

Today, the day after shopping, my arms are a little sore. My legs are VERY sore. My back, I'm trying not to think about it at the moment. The large trolleys are helpful for storing stuff by my tiny body is dwarfed. For me, and for many others, going to Costco is like going to a gym, pushing around large unruly trolleys, which get increasingly heavy because you are lifting heavy bulk packs of everything off the shelf and into the trolley.

Additionally, the thought of spending less is probably an illusion. You spend more. You just get more for it. As my wonderful friend Katherine (who did most of the pushing and lifting for me) suggests, people who have more in the cupboard feel like they can use more, because there is so much. I'm hoping that Phil and I will have a bit more restraint.

Don't let all this complaining fool you, I loved Costco, but I thought most people have raved about it for long enough, and I thought that the uninitiated should hear both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment